View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 AM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What are you using to insulate your hands from the cold?

Hello Folks...I am following DOK from another place we have posted for quite a while......I signed up here a year ago...but am a brand new poster here...

What DOK is writing is very important stuff for those that Love C&R...when its cold out a lot of anglers let down their guard where they normally wouldnt ...but the fish still need the care just as much...

I hate gloves...and it seems the fleece type fishing gloves that do keep you warm even when they get a little wet are like super velcro for flies( like the simms fleece jobbies)...especially smaller flies , talk about some tangles !

what I do nowadays when releasing I trys to keep my catch in my rubber net(you know the kind...no mesh, soft rubber bag) I bend the bag shut, containing the fish and try and keep the fish sumberged along the shorline without rubbing it on rocks or sand etc...then w/ my free hand I remove the hook with my forceps...pinching the barbs can make this a lot easier...which isnt a bad idea anyway...

this technique took me a while to actually master...several of the ranches I worked on take proper ( and gentle) releasing technique extremely serious...unfortunately at even some of the most famous C&R streams all over some folks think simply letting go a fish and not taking it home for dinner accomplishes the mission intended...nothing could be further from the truth...

with the method I described I dont even think about the cold...that is untill I have to tie on a size 22 w/ 5X...no cures I know of for that except pre-tying up my dropper rigs at home in front of the stove the night before...LOL...

to happy fish and warm finger tips...

all the best...ted

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/