Re: Poor Boy Rod Holder
This would be a pretty easy project for most people. Here are a couple of ideas that you might also consider.
1. I agree that soldering the copper would be a good idea. It is not hard and can be done with a butane torch and a little practice.
2. Thin Wall (EMT) aluminum conduit could also be used instead of the copper.
3. I think the best material would be PVC Pipe using PVC glue. The PVC joints will with stand high pressure. So will soldered copper.
4. On the ends of any one of these materials you might consider using an eye bolt instead of bending the ends.
5. Magnetic Flanges are also available from Amazon and Northern Equipment. Crittergetter uses 95 pound magnets. They are also available in 200 pound or higher. The Magnet ratings are based on a 3/8" steel base. So on the hood or top of an auto the holding power would be some what lower. Crittergetter has used his a lot and hasn't had a problem with his magnet strength or construction.
Overall Crittergetters project is a neat project and I hope some of you take advantage of it.