View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: 11 Mile Canyon Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Nice! Beautiful Cutts, and I was wondering if the fourth species was going to be brookies. (didn't think it was, forgot about the kokanee)

Do the Kokanee have those teeth when they're in the lakes, or do they come out only on the spawning run like the anadromous fish? Also, do they survive to spawn again?
Good questions Cliff.
First, to the best of my knowledge, there are no Brookies in the Canyon.
Now as far as the Kokanee, They don't have those teeth or the hooked kype until spawning takes place. They're normal appearance is a silvery sided fish.
Like this
Click the image to open in full size.

After spawning both males and females die. There is no natural reproduction of Kokanee in Colorado, thus stocking is the only way to maintain a population of Kokanee.
My understanding of the lack of reproduction is that the males are sterile. Now this is the rumor I heard on the matter and I have not been able to find any information about it to verify or refute this.