View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furled Leaders ... ?

Hi Dean,
The thing about furled s they can be made with any material. By any, I mean thread for color and the MOST supple of all material. This can lay a #32 dry down so delicate with little effort.
First off you can cast a furled leader with nothing else. You can't do that with other leaders.

You say that you used the Orvis Braided. That is going to be very similar to the thread. BUT, braided will spray water every time you lift it. A furled spirals in the water and no spray.

Also if I remember, braided can be quite long. Mine are 5' to 6' in which you add 2' to 6' of tippet. And I offer a tippet ring or a shorb loop for the tippet. Nice thing about the rings is you can change out tippet easy without fear of cutting the leader.

Furled leader has ZERO memory. NO other leader can say that, specially ones made from mono.
I do have a secret mono that is very supple though.

Plus my leaders can be a FIVE stage taper. That is why you can cast just the leader.

I also make 10 - 12 foot Tenkaras