View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 02:49 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Fisher Dies in Clark River

I have a friend who has a summer place on a big lake here in Idaho. He owns and fishes from several sit-on type float tubes. They're like a lawn chair with an inflatable semi circular pontoon. They're nice: you sit up high, you're mostly up out of the water, you don't have to worry so much about keeping the back cast angled up. All of my previous tubing was in sit-in type tubes. I'd had a couple of round tubes, and recently moved up to a U tube.
My friend was convinced that sit-in tubes were dangerous and that we couldn't possibly let kids use them because they'd surely have the same type of accident mentioned here. I couldn't convince him that, if this was a common problem, not only would we have heard about it, but the product would have been sued off the market.
The first half hour or so using his sit-on tube was very unnearving for me. I was accutely aware that there was nothing but gravity holding me and my craft together. How easy would it be to lean out of this thing and lose it to a gust of wind? I can see how someone might be tempted to fasten themselves to the tube.

P.S. My buddy thinks canoes are death traps.