View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Sahagan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Food for thought

I believe the most powerful, invasive and pervasive force on earth....is the American merchandising machine. From your browser's start page, to every magazine, newspaper, radio and television, advertisements assail us daily, with but one goal in mind. To sell product, whether it be cosmetic dentistry, better sleeping potions, or the latest and best in automobiles and electronics. It's always to sell.

So, you end up buying unneeded, and most probably unwanted, cup after cup, all because you believed what you were told.

We're so busy trying to learn how to get the most out of our latest gadgets (remember electronic geegaws with instruction books 1/2 inch thick?), that we never think to ask, "Why should we buy it?" in the first place.

Real happiness is not to be found in things....but in the gentler pleasures, in learning a new craft or art, in sitting alongside a quietly moving stream, while contemplating nature, the world around us, and those fish that seem so much smarter than we.

(Forgive me....I just finished THE COMPLEAT ANGLER by Izaak Walton for the second time, after a 30 year hiatus, so it's rubbed off on me pretty bad.)

Sahagan