View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The End of The Line; Discussions on Furlled & Knotted Leaders.

Hi Walter,

I have to agree with you that todays knottiness tapered leaders are very good. I use them almost exclusively myself. When I was young the leaders on the market were not as good and there was not such diversity in what was offered. My first kits were Mason hard leader material that were sold by The Orvis Co. and when Maxima material came on the scene I could build stiff leaders that would turn over like a dream and tip them with soft pliable Maxima. This used to be the ticket for custom leaders.

By tying them you can actually create leaders that are quite simple and will work for your own circumstance that you may face on a favorite stream. It is like a mini course in physics because you gain an understanding of how the energy of the fly line is transmitted best to the fly itself. I used to fish nymphs using three at a time and being able to design leaders with two droppers at a chosen pair of blood knots. This was so superior to using snelled flies and surgeons loops in the line that it alone made tying leaders worth while.

Now days I still make one up now and then for small stream fishing. You can build a perfect 6' 6" taper that will sit a little dry right where you want it with minimal back cast space.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;