Thread: Pick my 1st Fly
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pick my 1st Fly

This will not answer your question.... BUT, I'd focus more on building skills among two or three patterns.

Wooly Buggers are good beginner flies as they are fairly simple and will teach you about wrapping materials (chenille for the 'textbook' version of Wooly Bug.), and more importantly-- palmer hackling flies.

Another good beginner fly is anything with a dubbed body. Dubbing is a strange material to use in the beginning-- Most (myself included) put waaaaayyyyy too much dubbing on and wrap it waaaayyyyy too loosely. ///EDIT/// By 'wrap it way too loosely'; I mean the dubbing on the thread, not the thread on the hook.../// Hare's Ear will be good 'practice' for dubbing.

lastly, I'd try something along the lines of an elk hair caddis. This will teach you to work with 'coarser' hairs that will tend to 'flair' on you-- good on many patterns, not so good on others....

With these three patterns, you will have many of the basics down, and could tie several other patterns based on the skills/techniques used for these three. Also, all three will be productive for nearly any species of freshwater fish-- and you will have a fly from the three main 'categories' of flies--i.e. wet/streamer, nymph, and dry. One of them ought to catch something on most outings.

Last edited by raindogt; 12-23-2010 at 09:25 AM.