Thread: Pick my 1st Fly
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pick my 1st Fly

Excellent! Dave Hughes' book Essential Trout Flies breaks flies down into categories: Catskill drys, parachute drys, herl nymphs, fur nymphs, etc.
Hughes says that once you've learned how to tie a Parachute Adams, you will have the skills to tie any parachute fly. I think he's correct, and would recommend tying a Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Wooly Bugger, Soft Hackles, and some bucktail streamers (Black Nose Dace has worked well for me). There are other types of flies, and I haven't mentioned drys at all. A Griffith's Gnat will get you started down that path, and catch fish. I would echo raindogt's comments about dubbing, and add that you should only use as much thread as needed. I was one of those people that thought a zillion wraps of thread were needed to prevent a fly from exploding, and most of them looked terrible. Using the absolute minimum number of wraps has become a source of pride in my tying now. Take a look at Davie McPhail tying videos on YouTube. Davie's videos are very useful on many levels, and he uses only enough thread wraps as necessary. Oh yeah...you don't need to wrap materials all the way up to the eye. Leave a space to build a thread. It's very easy to run out of room otherwise, and that can be very frustrating.

Davie McPhail Hare's Ear (note how often Davie says, "Take your time" ):