Thread: Pick my 1st Fly
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pick my 1st Fly

Congrats you'll have a lot of fun this winter. i agree about learning different techniques--- here's some patterns, basically in order of difficulty, that will teach you different techniques, add to your inventory of basic tying supplies, and build up your fly box with proven patterns that are effective all over the world.

I would get stuff to tie 2 or 3 patterns at a time rather than buying stuff to tie everything at once. Tie a bunch of each pattern (feel free to vary some a bit by tying some in different sizes, different colors, adding bead heads etc). Tie several of each pattern, and make each fly a bit better than the one before it, paying particular attention to proportions.

Note that every time you are able to successfully tie one of these patterns, your ability to tie other patterns goes up geometrically--- it will just be a question of using the same techniques with different materials. After working your way through a couple of these different patterns you'll soon be able to just look at a pic of many flies and a recipe listing materials and be able to figure out how to tie them--- and with the help available on the internet with youtube vids and step by step instructions you'll be able to take on a ton of different patterns.

Assuming you're going to be chasing trout, I'd suggest working your way through something like these styles of flies, in order from easy to more difficult--- i've suggested some specific patterns that reflect each "style" of fly, but there are many other choices as well:

easy
1. reverse palmered hackle and ribbing- woolly bugger
2. twisted herl bodied nymph- pheasant tail nymph
3. dubbed body nymph- gold ribbed hare's ear nymph

wet flies and streamers
6. Bucktail- Mickey Finn or Black Nosed Dace
4. Soft hackle- partridge and yellow
5. Quill slip winged wet fly- lead wing coachman wet
7. Feather wing streamer- Black Ghost

dry flies with dry fly hackle (dry fly hackle can be expensive, there are other options for dries that don't use dry fly hackle)
8. down wing, palmered hackle- Elk Hair Caddis
9. Wing post and parachute hackle- Adams Parachute
10. Catskill style dry fly- (Light Cahill, Hendrickson etc)
11. Hair wing dry fly- Royal Wulff

12. Spun deer hair collar- marabou muddler

Check in here if you have any questions about materials--- it can be really confusing.