View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM

tca1954 is on a distinguished road
Default ultra light rods for bass, carp

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Tom A. and I live in the Chicago area. I have been fly fishing for about 5 years and fish many for bluegill and bass in local farm ponds around my area. A couple of summers ago I started fly fishing for carp and needless to say have become "hooked" on this type of fishing.

I am an ultra light, light rod enthusiast. The fly rods I own are an Orvis 8" 1 wt. Silver Label, a TFO 8'6" 3 wt. Pro. Series and a Redington RS2 9' 4 wt. I also have an Orvis Power Matrix 9' 6 wt. which I sometimes use for bass.

Here in my area the panfish and bass are not of world record sizes. Most of the bass I catch are 1-1.5 lbs. with an occassional 4-5 pounder. So one of the reasons I went to ultra light was for the challenge and for the fighting feel of the fish. I have caught several 2-3 pounders on all of my rods and I have caught a couple of 4-5 pounders on my 1 wt. alone.

But the real thrill came last summer whenI caught a 12 lb. carp on my 1 wt. I was just fooling around with the 1 wt. when I decided to cast a small nymph to a feeding carp. With proper rod positioning and landing techniques employed it took about 5-7 minutes to get that critter in. Since then I have caught a bunch of good bass and sizable carp with my 1 and 3 wt rods.

I guess what I would like to know is, there any other ultra light fans out there and if so, what type of equip. do you use and what types of fish are you pursuing?

I am also looking for advice on light to ultra light rods and would welcome any input. I am currently looking at the "ought weights" that Sage is offering, as well as Thomas & Thomas's LPT series rods. Specifically the 8'6" 2 wt. they have in that line. And if any body knows of any other light weight offerings out there I would love to get that info. as well.

I have found that bass, carp, bluegill will all take small light weight flies with surprizing regularity. And when lined right I have also found that these light rods cast with ease and allow for all day casting with little fatigue. And for an older guy like me that is a blessing.

Please let me here for you if you are an ultra light fan. Thanks