View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 04:27 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The End of The Line; Discussions on Furlled & Knotted Leaders.

Bingo for me too. If you haven't tried a properly tied knotted leader, send me your address, and I'll mail one to you. While tapered leaders are better than they used to be, a knotted leader's ability to transmit energy can be seen by casting it in your hand. In addition, replacing lost length is much easier when you know the diameter and length of each section. I don't own a precision micrometer, but would love to run one along the length of a few "identical"
tapered leaders.

Catching fish using a knotted leader is not like using one of my own tied flies, at least for me. Casting one of my knotted leaders does give a sense of satisfaction, however, especially if it's a 12 foot Borger formula for dry flies: they are designed to land in an S pattern, yet still unfurl properly. I don't even know if you can buy a tapered 12 foot leader, although Umpqua is selling 10 foot leaders now. LeaderCalc is available for free, but it copyrighted so I won't post the link here. Simply Google Leadercalc, and the wonderful world of leader design will be at your fingertips.

P.S. I run into plenty of guys at fly shops and on fly streams that do not use tapered leaders. Some dismiss tapered leaders entirely, but others simply like the performance of a knotted leader.