Thread: reel question
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: reel question

Casey,

Deciding on the make is up to you but size is also a consideration. take a reel that you own perhaps one that you use on a seven weight and mount it to thee rod. Without stringing the line through the eyes see where the balance point is on the cork.

If the outfit balances at or near the tip of the handle then you will want a larger reel than what may be prescribed for a 5 weight. I am guessing the rod is a 9 foot. I have a 9' 5 weight and use a Marquis #7 on it. This size reel provides perfect balance while my Orvis CFO IV does not. Back when this rod was new a CFO IV was the reel that would have been sold with the rod. Having a bigger reel & spool helps to keep the rod from being tip heavy when it is lined up. Faster retrieve due to the amount of backing on a big reel is handy also. Almost every rod I own has a bigger reel than what would be called for and as a matter of personal preference I like them to balance at the tip of the cork and this makes them feel perfect in the hand. If you choose the Lamson try a #3 they are light enough to use a big one.

Just a suggestion on size,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;