Thread: reel question
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: reel question

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
ard,
thanks for that info on the reel sizing. i'm thinking i might go the lamson route, as ive had great results from them in the past. would you also recommend overlining it as well?

thanks, casey
I am not big in the overlining department. Somehow I manage to fish without difficulty using the lines prescribed for the rods. When it seemed I needed more umph with the 9' PM 10 5 weight for throwing size 2 streamers with little back cast available I went to a weight forward and used a 36" lead head and that worked just fine. Figuring out how to get desired results from a rod is a matter of experimenting with varied techniques. If I buy a 5 weight, I bought that rod because I wanted a 5 weight. If in fact I find that in order for the rod to work correctly I must use a 6 weight line or Heaven Forbid, a #7, then I would return the rod. If I were inclined to stay with the same maker I would take a 4 weight and line it with the #5 that was my original intent.

This may sound a bit stubborn but when I am paying hundreds of dollars for a graphite shaft that supposedly is the result of the most modern technology available, hence the price tag, then I want it to perform as advertised. The only rod I own that demanded to be outfitted with a line that was not the designated weight is a 6' 6" bamboo rod. It will cast with a #4 line but once you have 20' of line in the air you can feel the strain of the line. Something about the 'feel' and a tiny bamboo will provide plenty of that, was not right. The rod was a custom build by Orvis and they contacted my nearest dealer and I was able to pick up a DT #3 to try on the rod. Problem solved! The rod was in fact a #3 rod and not a 4. Somehow having to downsize the line on a short cane rod called 'The Flea' was not a giant psychological hurdle for me but having to line my 5 weight with a 6 would be unacceptable. Does any of this make sense to you?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;