View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 06:39 PM

switchfisher will become famous soon enoughswitchfisher will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing Shenandoah NP

I hiked in from the lower Hughes almost to the Corbin Cabin flat section back in 2006

If you want to fish your way in, it will be torture - this is nice water - or was before the drought last year.

The best section starts about 2 miles in from the Rag Mt Parking Lot and goes to just short of Corbin Cabin where it flattens out in the valley.

I stopped because the stream got real low and slow near Corbin - why fish that when you have all the pocket water on the first part of the river. So I turned around and fished my way back. There is a super section that starts about 3 miles from the bottom to where I turned around. It's climb over huge rocks to get to classic deep pocket pools. Once you go into the river in that section, you are there for a good 1/2 mile as the bank is really steep on either side.

If you go to Corbin Cabin from the top, you will be really close to that section. I can send you a link to the trip report I wrote on the Hughes if you want more detail.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was a spin guy back in 2006. I'd like to go back and try it again with my long rod now.