View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 02:43 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Let's Talk About Knives.....................

I have a few nice knives that I simply keep put away. I think of knives in a fairly utilitarian way for the most part. The ones I use the most are several varieties of the Kershaw Ken Onion series. I like the leek the best. Opening assist comes in handy and the looks are sharp. I also own the smaller one I think its called the scalion. I find that more handy around the vise.
As for cleaning fish and game, I generally use dexter russel sani safe type. Dishwasher safe, decent steel that sharpens easy and if I happen to lose or break it somehow, I'm out generally less than $50.
I also still use a few different ulu type knives. It works great for knocking the heads off salmon when dealing with a quantity of them, or kings and big silvers. Being able to force down weight on a small area and then spread throughout the width of the curved blade does a nice clean job and saves the edge on your filet knife.
While I have some family who has the skills and practice to filet salmon with an ulu, I generally stick to a 10in filet.