View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Stupid Question about filling a reel

The spools are set up to work fairly well when using a spooling machine to load a reel, but I could see how it could cause problems when one doesn't have one to use.

I would recommend you figure out a way to have the supplied spool that comes with the line (after you've removed the twistys/pipe cleaner bits from the line) to revolve on a pencil or something like that that is clamped in a fixed position. (a black-and-decker workmate would be real handy for this)

The line may spin within the spool, or the spool may rotate along with the line that is being unrolled. Either of these two options are fine, but you do not want the line to become tight and start to dig down into the spool. You will want tension on the line as it goes onto the reel, but apply this with the hand you are using to hold the rod between the logo and stripping guide.

Loading it like a spinning reel will not work for the same reason that loading a baitcasting reel from a horizontally positioned spool won't work.

Hope that's all comprehendable, good luck!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.