View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has any one tried to fly cast with no rod

I Also watched Tim Rajeff do this "rodless" casting at last week's NJ Fly Fishing Show. He simply picked the line up from a rod tip, gave a single backcast with his arms and landed the fly (yarn) on his forecast in the middle of a hula hoop 50 ft. out. That was that; then he went on to cast with rods. It was a good lesson for me to visualize, as it really hits home on the point that a rod is simply a lever extension of your own arm. What the rod will do for your castng is, basically, an amplification of what you're actually doing with you arm (etc.) at the time of your cast. It's all body mechanics; simply translated through the rod. Basic take home message for me was three-fold: 1. work on your basic casting stoke (body mechanics), 2. do #1. over and over again (practice), and 3. Tim Rajeff is simply an extrodinary caster- absolutely no visible effort at all for casts of 100+ ft.