View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A Pair Of Feather Wing Streamers;

Thanks Fellas,

I stuck the recipes on the post. Yes I dye the tippets and the claret color I get by blending scarlet, brown and black dyes. it is pretty much trial and error till you get what you want and then you're good to go. The flies are actually simple to make and I thought that although they are a bit loud in color they are as nice as most feather wing recipes that I've been copying for decades so I put them up in case you guys wanted to tie something similar. All of the stuff I used should be available at any good fly tying shop and the dye is at your nearest fabric store.

About dyes, I have some old dyes that i got in the 70s at E. Hillie's in PA. and since I have no source for those any longer I started using Rit Dye from fabric stores. The man who first explained the dying process to me had said that once I had gotten the materials to the color I should add a liberal amount of vinegar to the mix. This supposedly 'set' the dye into the feathers. Common sense tells me that if you add the 'acid' which vinegar is to the dye when you start the acid will denature the proteins of the feathers and furs and either ruin them or weaken then so that they may not be good material for flies. I dye stuff as described and have never had a color fade or bleed unto other flies when they are put in the box wet. He said to add the vinegar at the end of the process not at the beginning and it's been working for me for a long time.

One other thing, Boil dye for fur and dye fur on the stove where you can maintain the dye solution near the boiling point. Feathers do not require such high temps but should be pre soaked before put into a hot dye bath. Average time for good deep colors seems to be around 1/2 hour for feathers and for fur it is shorter. Fur is a 'hands on' process but goes fairly quickly.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;