View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fast action vs Medium fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
I just can't even wrap my head around why anyone except for perhaps fishing steamers or for steelhead, salmon, stripers. etc. for distance casting on large rivers and horseing in fish would want to use a fast action rod. Then again those who enjoy fast actions probably feel the same about slower action rods.
For as much as I enjoy a medium fast (in today's terms) rod, I need a fast rod to toss Clouser Minnows on the Delaware River. My wife is a fly angler, and that gives me an opportunity to use two different rods at the same time. This past fall my wife used an 8'6" 4wt and I used the same model rod in a 7'6" 4wt configuration. I thought the 8'6" rod was the ideal light trout rod, but when switching back and forth I found the 7'6" 4wt felt light as feather, and 100X more delicate. My first taste of that actually happened a couple of years ago when we were fishing a lake. I was fishing a St. Croix 7'6" Imperial 4wt, and my wife had a premium Diamondback 8'6" 5wt (a rod that I thought was IT in terms of light weight and finesse. We switched rods after a hour, and I couldn't wait to get that supple little Imperial back: the other rod felt like a telephone pole. We were tossing little Green Weenies to bluegills, so the little rod was the right tool for the job. When I find the ideal do-it-all rod, I'll post my findings here.