View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 12:10 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fast action vs Medium fast

Let me be clear at first here. I'm fairly new to this fly fishing thing.

Most of my rods are medium (WW Grigg 5 wt, Redington CT 4 wt, White River 4 wt) and one is a med-fast (TFO 3 wt). I got really comfortable with a medium action.

Still I needed something that could chuck larger streamers and fight some wind on big lakes. I bought a St. Croix Legend Ultra which is a faster action rod. It was hard for me to get used to. I knew it was just me and not the rod since the rod get's great reviews as a good streamer rod and for chucking indicator rigs. I decided to just fish it for awhile and get used to it.

Awhile ago I went back to fishing my Redinton CT 4 wt and wow did it seem slow. but it didn't take me long to get used to it again.

I often see people say that you need to buy a rod that matches "you stroke". At this point I disagree. Yes, there might be an action that you are more comfortable with, but you need to be able to adjust to match the conditions. Faster action rods are just better at beating the wind or chucking streamers. saying you won't use one because they don't match your stroke seems a bit silly.