View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 01:13 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fast 6 wt or slower 7 wt?

gt, rod weight/action is such a personal thing that I think it might be worth BlueDun's time to try a heavier line. It might not work, but if it does, the solution is rather inexpensive.

Personally, I've played around with overlining and have had mixed results:

Scott A3 3wt. w/ a 3wt line: the rod would work ok with dries & hopper/dropper setups. As soon as I added a bit of weight, the rod seemed to just collapse. A knowledgeable shop owner suggested I overline it and it just didn't work.

SAGE Z-axis 3 wt. An amazing rod w/ a 3wt line but it always takes me a while to get used to it, especially after using my TXL ooo or Winston IIt 3wt....

So, I loaded it up with a SA GPX 3wt line that supposedly is a 3.5wt line and I think it takes me less time to get used to the z-axis.

Anyway, the bottom line is that all that "feel" stuff is a personal manner so I would say experiment (more than once) before making a decision such as getting rid of a potentially perfectly fine rod.