View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mini Streamer - Milkweed Fly

Here's a mini-streamer that I got around to tying up today.

I started in on one back in May of last year, but I didn't have any of the key ingredient; the wing is made out of milkweed seed fibers. So, I had to wait until the milkweeds up here in the Poconos went to seed; which was late November. Turns out that I have a field across from my house that has "thousands" of milkweed plants in it; so I am no longer short on materials! Anybody need milkweed??

This pattern comes off the GFF site and was originally published as part of a series on mini-streamers; most of them derived from Ray Bergman's original plates showing 500+ winged wets. I really like the sheen that comes off the milkweed fiber wing and bet it will be effective in that water. We'll see come Spring.

Ingredients are simple:

Hook: Mustad 79580, #14
Thread: Griffith's Sheer, black, 14/0
Body: Orange silk, flat
Rib: x-sm silver tinsel, flat
Tail: Wood duck barbs
Throat: Wood Duck barbs (can also be tied with banded Wood Duck barbs)
Wing: Milkweed seed fibers

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm tempted now to pair it with peacock herl as a sub for the orange floss; with maybe a gold rib instead of silver - it never ends, does it?

Pocono