View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is one of the most interesting thread I've seen anywhere.

And really on point. Fly rods this, gear chuckers that .. but a Personal Tool that we identify with 24/7/365. In our pocket, in our car, attached to our belt, in our pocket.

Again, personally, I can't think of a more 'personal choice' a 'man' could make.

For me just three jump to mind. The first was a knife my Father made up in Ocean Falls, BC; made from a broken section of lumber mill band saw blade. This thing would take an edge that you'd have to beat it against a brick to dull same. Stoke, stoke, stoke .. a bit of leather stropping, and you could shave a cow.

Now gone. Back story to that was my 'first command' in the USCG. 44 footer in the east end of the Straights of Juan de ****ka. Dead dark and we ran over a broken loose float end of someone's gill net. That ... insert lots of 4 letter words .... wrapped around our prop/shaft like there was no tomorrow. Two answers: Call for help .. if you can find us ... or just strip down and go over the side with a line tied to you ...and cut yourself free. Guys above with battery 'Battle Lanterns' shining down in the water, me freezing my 22'ish year ass off .. but finally got us cut free.

When they hauled me out I learned what the word 'Hypothermia' really meant. Dropped Dad's knife, now somewhere in the bottom of .... end story of the above was I was 'air lifted off' at day break. I had a few (very few) occasions where we had to 'air-vac' someone, but never thought I'd be the one 'in the Basket.'

The next knife, I actually found. One of the 'old builds' of the Boy Scouts of America kit. Carbon steel, won't hold an edge all that well, but you can sharpen same with a rock you pick up off the beach. Found, as in I was cleaning a fish .. and there it was under my nose.

Knife is in the glove box in my car .. and that's been several cars/trucks over the years.

My 'everyday' knife is a Buck "Work Man." By everyday, I do mean 'everyday.' Worked for many months at the Bateman Sr Meals center here in Medford. Just short of 1,000 hot meals out the door 5 days per week. Errrm, that's by 0800, then you start all over again for tomorrow ...

Three 'blades,' one of which is a flat head screwdriver. The other two? I can cut open/fix the world.

Someone, my Father included, thought each of those through, and got it right.

fae