View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Good flytying book?

I suspect that there are a number of more "localized" books than Ernie's. Scanning my library files, I don't find any that have the scope, if you will, of Matching the Hatch. I have a batch of books that show good photos of bug X and the corresponding fly X, but lack the ecological angles that the author of this thread mentioned he was looking for. They must be out there, though.

Side note: Ernie's first edition of "Nymphs" got me through aquatic ecology at Cornell. He always laughed pretty hard when I told him that. (Note the unveiled effort at building hero-status for myself).

One other book that I'd like to mention, just as a darn good book to read if you fly fish for trout is Datus Proper's "What the Trout Said - about the design of trout flies, and other mysteries."

Bibliographically yours,
Gary

ooh ooh, I just remembered - back when I ran the American Museum of Fly Fishing (there's that hero status-building thing again), we ran a beautiful spread of photos of flies Ernie tied for us and described somewhat ecologically in The American Fly Fisher. you could probably google that museum and ask 'em if they have that issue for sale. You can't have mine. Unless I have two. I'll have to look. I don't know where to look though. Never mind.

Last edited by gt05254; 01-04-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: never ending search for the truth.