View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Yellowstone Angler 5wt Shootout

Burk started a thread a couple days ago about the Hardy winning the shootout. It was interesting to see how much they liked the Winston Passport, but Anderson states that rod is made overseas, while at the same time writing that the St. Croix Imperial is made in the USA. Wrong. It was a bit surprising to see George trash the BIIX after writing that it was his shop's best selling rod, so I guess he calls them like he sees them.

I mentioned in the other thread that Anderson is still testing 5wt's with a 5.5wt line. I'm reading Dave Hughes' book Trout from a Small Stream, and he likes to overline his rods by a full weight, even when all of his fishing friends (and the custom builders in a couple of cases) all fished Hughes' rods with the designated line. Hughes states in his Essential Trout Flies book that Anderson is one of the best nymph fishermen in this country, so maybe there are people that simply prefer heavier lines. I should have mentioned that Hughes expresses a strong preference for fast/stiff rods on small streams, so there's another thing he and Anderson share.