View Single Post
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 AM
rangerrich99's Avatar
rangerrich99 rangerrich99 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anthem, AZ
Posts: 780
Blog Entries: 2
rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

I just started tying two years ago so my recipe box is still kinda small (13). However, I fish 7-8 of them quite a bit, so I'd guess right now I buy approx. 60% and tie the other 40%. Another factor is durability vs. cost. For instance, I fish a ton of stimulators throughout the year, and no matter how well I tie them, they only last about 3 fish. On top of that, the most effective color is yellow, which is very common commercially. So, at maybe 55 to 60 cents a piece, it just makes sense to buy a year's worth instead of making myself batty tying 400 or 500 hundred of them.

Generally, I tie flies that are either a mix of two or three recipes I know, or flies that I've seen pics of and think I can tie.
Reply With Quote