View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Five Weight All Around Confessions!

I tried to make a catchy title.

I have a confession though I started fly fishing 25 years ago I've never fished streamers not even for steelhead. Okay I'm out of the closet now!

Well I'm planning on building or buying a 9' 5 wieght. Heres the thing I really like moderate action rods, but I want it to be a rod that could do everything reasonably well and that includes fishing streamers, wind, and fishing for larger trout and "Half Pounders." To do that do I really need a Moderate-Fast, Fast action or will a moderate action 5wt like the Reddington CT which is moderate, but less moderate than a TFO Finnese do fine.

Part of the reason I'm asking this is I'm feeling non-commital, because I know where I can purchase a Reddington CT 9' 5wt for $110 including shipping and I really like that rod, but I'm concerned that it will not permit me to throw streamers well and I'm committed this year to learn to fish streamers.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.