View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Five Weight All Around Confessions!

Hi Tom,

I guess I have to ask how big are the rivers or creeks you are going to be fishing? I have fished streamers for a long time using #5 rods. I have three of them, a 9', a 7'9" and a 6'3". All work perfectly for the size streams I use them to fish in. Shortly after taking up residence here I realized that my #5's were too light for some fish while my #9 was a wee too heavy. I landed in the middle with a 9' 7 weight medium fast rod (yes Robert, a Drake Big Horn) and it proved to be just right.

If you are going to fish large flies on fairly heavy leaders at an average distance of 40' I would use my #7 over the 5. If the water is small and the casts short I would end up with one of the short 5's in my hand. My 1994 9' 5 weight PM10 will probably be used as a dry fly rod for the rest of our time together.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;