View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Five Weight All Around Confessions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Tom,

I guess I have to ask how big are the rivers or creeks you are going to be fishing? I have fished streamers for a long time using #5 rods. I have three of them, a 9', a 7'9" and a 6'3". All work perfectly for the size streams I use them to fish in. Shortly after taking up residence here I realized that my #5's were too light for some fish while my #9 was a wee too heavy. I landed in the middle with a 9' 7 weight medium fast rod (yes Robert, a Drake Big Horn) and it proved to be just right.

If you are going to fish large flies on fairly heavy leaders at an average distance of 40' I would use my #7 over the 5. If the water is small and the casts short I would end up with one of the short 5's in my hand. My 1994 9' 5 weight PM10 will probably be used as a dry fly rod for the rest of our time together.

Ard
Its not the rod weight I'm concerned with as I know that a 5wt or 6wt is perfect for where I would streamer fish. Its the fact that I really like moderate action and moderate fast action rods, but have heard and read everywhere including this forum to fish streamers effectively you need a Fast Action rod.

I just dislike fast action rods as they feel like broom sticks to me and it has nothing to do with my experience or ability to cast I actually cast them just fine. I simply prefer moderate and moderate fast rods, but If to properly fish streamers I really NEED a fast action I'll buy or build one.

I just want to fish streamers to catch some of the Big Browns in the Truckee River and a few other places.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.