View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Yellowstone National Park

MTSkibum,
There are lots of other great Salmonfly hatches around and in the state of Montana. I would be happy to give you a rundown of many of them if you want to IM or email me so that I don't get accussed of hotspotting by anyone on the boards. Both the Yellowstone and Madison have salmonfly hatches as you mentioned. The one issue with Salmonflies however is that they are best during high water years and wade fishing can be a bit tough and dangerous when they are at there best. Floating is generally the best way to fish them since you want to fish the flies tight to the bank and you want the water rattling the willows to knock the adults into the water. With snowpacks being what they are right now the Yellowstone probably won't have clean water outside the park when the bugs hatch but you may get to fish them inside the park if you are willing to do the hikes to get into the canyon. God bless the big bugs!!!!