View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five Weight All Around Confessions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Duh! I didn't even think about the fact that streamers were thrown with bamboo and glass long before graphite came along so I guess I can safely buy that Redington CT 5wt which I really want since I can get it shipped for $110 and then use my 6wt if I want to throw a little bigger streamers then the 5wt can handle. Then when I get/build my switch rod use it for the big stuff. Or am I just crazy.
Tom,
There is a reason why we fly fishermen have fly rods like some have golf clubs. No one rod can do it all. Are you just crazy? Nope. You are just putting two and two together.

I don't know if you ever plan on doing a drift with Dave Sloan out of American Fly on the Yuba. If you do one of his drifts, he will suggest that you have two rods. You could have a six weight rigged as a streamer or indicator rod and a five weight rigged as a dry rod. I highly recommend the July into August drift. It's three weeks of gonzo hoppers!

One of the realities is that a light line rod can handle throwing streamers as long as you stay within the parameters of the rod. Things will get complicated once the flies get heavier (especially if they get waterlogged), more wind resistant, and when the winds start picking up. Last summer when I fished my girlfriend's 7'6" 3 weight CT, I was casting size 12 Beadhead Simi Seal Leeches and size 10 Beadhead Woolly Buggers.

MP