View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Five Weight All Around Confessions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I use switch rods for streamers quite a bit when I'm swinging streamers. But when I'm tossing heads and stripping fast on retrieve a two hander gets in the way. A single hander is much more efficient and easier to handle when you're casting and working a streamer or even a top water (mousin) then a two hander.

I must admit after using a two hander in AK, I don't understand why the 11 1/2 seven weight isn't the go too rod in the great white north for Silvers and Rainbows.
I had not thought of that and that makes complete sense. So perhaps I should get the Switch for steelhead, surf fishing, etc. By the Way any familliar with the St. Croix Imperial Switch rod other then the fact its build in Mexico.

I just found a TFO TICR 9' 5wt at a very good price. Would this be a good choice for the application I've been discusing considering how much I like Moderate-Fast and mostly dislike Fast rods, I know that it considered Fast, but its not as fast as a TICRX. What you all think. Or do you think The TFO Pro would be a better fit for me and this application as single hander. I really like TFO's too.

One more well sort of to through in the mix I just discovered the TFO Pro comes in a 9' 6" 5wt perhaps that rod would make a decent everything rod including if not especially for High Sticking and Czech Nymphing. I can't find any reviews on that specific rod and of coarse I could be getting overly optimistic at this point.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-07-2011 at 12:04 AM.