View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The End of The Line; Discussions on Furlled & Knotted Leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Anthony,
I bought an Orvis kit about 8 years ago, and it contained .021, .019, .017, etc spools. It sounds like the Umpqua kit has the .020, .018, etc line. In any case, I don't think the stiff butt will hurt casting, but might effect the way the leader lays out on the water. Some people do not want a straight leader for dry flies, and you can look at Gary/Jason Borger's recipes, along with Harvey and Humphrey's. The Borger 12' dry fly leader has very few sections, and is designed to land in an S shape. The good news is that you can buy spools of butt material cheap, and also get soft and hard butt material to further refine your leaders.
Thanks Frank. I was doing an online search and it doesn't seem that Umpqua makes a 03x or a 01x. I read in the kit that I shouldn't mix and match brands, but does that really matter? I'd like to pick up spools of my missing ingredients, and don't think that the maker should matter as much as the diameter being proper.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog