View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The End of The Line; Discussions on Furlled & Knotted Leaders.

Hi Anthony,
I was just repairing some leaders..... Like Gary stated, there is a difference in diameter/stiffness among manufacturers, and I can tell you for a fact that Rio
4X tippet has a greater diameter than Umpqua 4X tippet. Not much, but enough to notice. I would say that's more important if you're adding tippet to a knotless leader, however. Knotted leaders can be tweaked in a number of ways, and mixing different brands of material is one such way. Some formulas call for a stiff butt secton, stiffer than the material supplied in kits. I don't use stiffer butt materials, but will use Rio tippet on the end of a leader made with Orvis butt and mid sections. Separate the butt, mid taper, and tippet, and you can do whatever you'd like. Why some people say not to mix brands is beyond me, but I don't mix brands when making sections.