View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The End of The Line; Discussions on Furlled & Knotted Leaders.

I never use a store bought tapered leader. I tie my own with ANDE mono. I know what it will really break at. I can do things like make them with bite and shock tippets for the times where I don't want to risk loosing my fly to the big toothy critters that may accidently hit my fly, or for the times I target the toothy guys. I use a spey rod most of the time now so finding a 15' tapered leader is no easy task, particularly when I don't have what could really be called a fly shop within a 4 hour drive of here. Or more specifically one that does spey stuff within god only knows how far away, as I have never seen one. I own every spool of ANDE from 2 to 50 lb. and will not run out of leader stuff till I am so old I can't cast from my Hovaround. I do not see where tapered leaders work any better than the ones I make, and the cost is certainly far more for them than what I make. I have one of Joni's furled leaders, and that thing is pretty awsome. If I were to ever buy anything else in this department it would be more of hers. Maybe a 13' furled leader?