View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: LaCrosse Custom Rods 7' 2-wt review

I've decided to move forward with this review using an old Martin "61" fly reel that's 3" in diameter. This painfully simple reel consists of an aluminum spool and stamped steel body and foot with a clicker-style drag. Incredibly cheap, I've bought this style reel at garage sales and flea markets for as little as $3:

Click the image to open in full size.

The line is an Orvis WF2F Silver Label line they recently had on sale for approximately one-third it's standard retail price. I do hope you managed to stock up before they noticed the error.

The 61 had a good supply of 20# Dacron backing, so a nail knot was all that was required before loading the fresh WF2F line. After winding, I assembled the rod and began looking for the outfit's balance point. Although not a very professional looking test fixture, here's what I found:

Isn't that just about perfect? Next, I'll be furling some leaders from 2# test monofilament and deciding where I'll do the actual casting here in the dead of winter. With any luck, it may require a road trip.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi John,

I have had a 4 Pc. 9 wt for almost three years and although it is a totally different animal than the #2 here I am quite satisfied with the #9. I elected to give one a try after having surprising results with a Quarrow (another unknown) 9' 7 weight. I compared the action and casting / fish handling ability of the rod to my 9' 9 wt. Orvis Silver Label and have a toss up with maybe a slight tilt toward the Orvis rod. Whit the huge disparity in price between the two the Lacrosse #9 makes good sense.

Ard
Excellent points, Ard. I'm somewhat excited to find a rod in the sub-$100 range that may bridge the gap between the big box store pre-packaged outfits and more serious rods in the $100-250 range. Your experience with the 9-weight buoys my confidence considerably. So far, I'm really liking the feel of this stick! Is it on par with a Sage/Winston/Hardy? Of course not. Will it allow me to take wary fish in tight quarters? That's what I hope to find out.

the764