View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 07:48 AM

Fly Guyusa will become famous soon enoughFly Guyusa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

Practice! Practice! Practice! Your casting that is! My guiding experience has taught me that many people who come to fly fish the salt have very poor casting skills. Recently, a new client from Colorado wanted to fish dock lights for Snook. He only had one day in my area, and the best tide was in the morning. His eight plus years of experience fly fishing with five to nine weight rods convinced me that he shouldn't have any problems. I picked him up at 3 am to fish until daylight for Snook, then we would go for tailing Redfish. Ten minutes from our pick up spot I approached the first lighted dock with my bow mounted electric on my flats boat. Standing in the bow, I showed him how to cast, retrieve and strip strike. When I handed him the rod, and asked him to cast, he made a windshield wiper cast of 180 degrees piling up the line twenty feet in front of him. I asked him to false cast. He couldn't! His experience apparently, was with a strike indicator and bead head nymph on very small streams. I made all his casts until daylight. The next hour was spent giving him casting lessons. At the end of the day he caught a few nice Trout and a Jack Crevalle on his own. Would a few guides site their experiences!