View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Up locking vs. down locking reel seats

Downlocks died when that BIG, relative up-start of a rod manufacturer stopped offering them.
If you go to a fly shop these days it seems most of the staff never heard of downlocks much less actually used one.
I like them on lighter line weight rod and have them on the few bamboo rods I own. I like the bit of added hand room they allow.
One arguent I heard over the years against downlocks is that your reel can get more readily scratched up when setting your rig down. My reels or reel seats never get scratched when I set them down anyhow no matter which type of reel seat I'm using, I set the rod butt down on grass or in a pinch my hat.
Another type reel seat I like on very light line-weight rods are sliding band seats. These things give you a bit of adjustment on where the reel sits on the rod and thus let's you tweak the balance a wee bit.
Can't comment on two-handed rods as I don't know much about them.