View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Proper Fly Rod balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you are comfortable casting that rig all day, I would not worry about the balance.

MP
MP is right, but what you've described makes me think your reel is too light for that rod, IMO.

One variable is whether you're talking about just mounting the reel on the rod, or if the rod is strung and the fly on the keeper or on a guide after the leader's wrapped around the reel.

I prefer a rod to balance where my index finger sits in a normal grip position while the rod is strung as described above. That means I often pick reels that are larger/heavier than what is viewed as ideal for a given rod. Though that increases the total weight of the rig, balance point is more important to me.

All that said, there's about a dozen things that will do more to improve your casting than miniscule improvement in your rod's balance point.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.