View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Southwest Michigan Trout Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddombos2 View Post
The Dowagiac is the best known, and probably the most credible. Supposedly, the Paw Paw and its tributaries have some trout, but I have not been impressed by my findings. I live here and I travel to do my fishing. You'd be much better off driving another 2-3 hours and get up around the Rogue, Muskegon, Manistee, PM, etc. There are a few other streams that are discussed in the Bedford and Linseman books, but it is pretty weak in SW Michigan overall.
Agreed on all fronts from my limited experience but I have tried these. My problem is that while wadable, the PM can be darn hard to fish from shore and crossing it can be a problem some times. The Muskegon and Manistee are too big for me.

I like the Dowagiac River quite a bit but it's a tricky stream and a challenging one. Don't fish it when it flows above 400 without a staff and once it gets much over that it's too dangerous for me.

Push North if you want to fish Michigan. I have some of the Michigan books that I read as well as the Gazeteer. It's a blast to explore that's for sure.

Cheers,
Mike.