View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How We Smoke Alaska Salmon;

Hi Eric,

We generally shoot for 8 hours because we don't want the brine to completely over power the fish. You may find that after all the work of skinning and cutting the fish and getting them into the brine you will be anxious to get up and get the smokers going at first light. Between the time spent harvesting the fish and all the preparation you become focused on getting good results. It's kinda like baking, you can't just put that pie in the oven and forget about it

The only other fish I have done like this are Char and they came out well also. Sometimes I get into a bunch of them that are large enough to fillet and I take some. We are always adjusting the brine by cutting back a little on the soy and salt and adding more wine and a pinch of sugar. When the fish is either too salty or strong with the soy it isn't as good. Right now we have it right where we want it. As soon as the weather breaks to 40* days we will be doing a batch of fall silvers up and they will last until the fish come this spring / summer

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;