View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Moving to NM from the UK

Larry, I was also surprised to hear the San Juan was crowded in November, but come to think of it, the last few times I've been up there it has always been crowded - I expect it to be in July but not in the fall. A lot of the guides I know up there swear by the winter as the best time, and maybe it is (or maybe it's guides trying to beef up the slow season ), but clearing ice out of my rod guides is a problem I hope never to have.

James, like Larry and Ard said, you'll be well-situated in Albuquerque for some pretty good trout fishing. The San Juan can be pressured and technical like tailwaters tend to be, but there is a lot of other good trout water in New Mexico and southern Colorado within driving distance (the San Juan is about 3 hours' drive from Albuquerque, & the Colorado border is 2-3 hours, depending on your direction). While 18-22"+ Rainbows are plentiful on the San Juan, much of the other trout water in New Mexico is high altitude small-streams in beautiful country with smaller but no less feisty trout, and not highly-pressured if you're willing to hike away from the roadside access points. If you'll do a Forum search for "New Mexico" or look under the Rocky Mountains Range section under the header, "Fly Fishing in the United States", you should find a fair amount of more specific discussion about where and when; here's one recent link for starters: Red River, New Mexico Trip

When it comes to redfish and tarpon, however, I think you'll have to be flying for that, but I'm sure you knew that already. Even though I live on the Texas Gulf Coast where redfish is plentiful, I rarely fish the salt, so couldn't advise you on tarpon. I'm sure there'll be plenty of others knowing more than I to help you on that, however.

Welcome aboard, and I know you'll enjoy your stay in New Mexico, a vacation destination for many Americans (like yours truly)!

Neil

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 01-16-2011 at 07:29 PM.