View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flouro worth it??

Dorian,
I believe it's a personal preference thing, some people swear by it and use it a lot.
Myself, I don't use fluoro as I havn't noticed any real advantage with it for the fishing I do.

To me it does seem a bit more brittle, and will friction burn easily if you don't lube your knot really well before tightening, causing a weaker connection.
The cost is another big factor, I prefer to spend the extra $$ on good quality regular tippet material in the bigger spools to last all season.

As far as brands, I've used Umpqua for years and really like it, although this past season I started to use RIO's "power flex" tippet material and may go with that for the upcoming year, it seemed silky smooth and soft.
In the past I have also used Orvis and had no issues with it, really liked it for smaller dries.
Frog hair is another one I will try sometime, I just don't know when. lol

Another thought on "Fluoro" it seems like I read something a few years ago that said it does not break down as quickly as regular mono, so therefor will stay in the water system longer. I dunno?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*