View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying Fly Fishing Gear Online Shipping Charges

Trust me, whether you know it or not, you're paying for shipping. If they're not adding it on, then it's included in the purchase price. Shipping is not cheap, especially if it's by air.

As a freight pilot, I don't necessarily know all the details of how any one company pays for ther shipping, but I do know that most of your shipping cost as the consumer goes towards fuel and maintenance of the aircraft. I get a few pennies, the company gets a few more, but most of it goes to the plane. Regulations require that my aircraft go in for maintenance 4 times a year, not including things like flat tires, hydraulic leaks, etc. This is a relatively fixed cost, as is insurance on the aircraft.

Fuel is different. As we all know the price of oil fluctuates widely. I won't go in to particulars, but jetfuel, known as Jet A, is slightly cheaper most of the time than the stuff you put in your car. But we burn a lot of it bringing everyone their new toys, and there is not a lot we can do about that.

So, when you buy something on line and have it shipped, pretty much what you are paying for is gas. And a few pennies towards my retirement fund/beer money.

So, I guess, thanks. Now buy more stuff and have it shipped please, I want a new Allen Nano rod next month.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark