View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Flouro worth it??

Hi to all,

You do have to be more careful with your knots in Fluor. Connecting the tippet with a loop to loop connection solves the problem of fastening them together with knots. You can also use a Uni to Uni knot connection.

Here is a quote from Lefty Kreh about using Fluor. He was answering a question on a forum.

"I don't think there is ever a need to use an entire fluorocarbon leader at anytime. I have tried many fluorcarbons since they first came on th market--I am not convinced they make a difference. If you are going to use it--perhaps the only place would be in the tippet.
Hard Mason Mono is the wrong way to go on butt sections of leaders. Your line UNROLLS to the target===so must your leader. Stiff, hard Mason mono dosen't want to unroll easily. I would suggest for tarpon that you tie a butt section of 60 pound test mono that IS HALF AS LONG AS THE ENTIRE LEADER. Then drop down in size to 50--40--30--etc. The 60 pound butt has enough FEXIBLE ENERGY to cause the leader to continue unrolling.
Most any preminum SPINNING LINE is okay--indendent lab test have shown one of the best spining lines (knot strength--of comparable diameter--was well as abrasion resitance) is SUFIX TITANIUM---I think Bass Pro and Cabelas sell it and it is what I use for my leaders--but not just SUFIX--but SUFIUX TITANIUM.

Hope this answers your question--I am off to Andros Island Bonefish Club."

There is some good information in this quote. This is about salt water fishing but probably applies to fresh water also. You people who tie your own salt water leaders may want to try SUFIX TRITANIUM. Lefty seems to think it is good stuff.

Frank

Sufix Tritanium
Click the image to open in full size.