Thread: Why fibreglass?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why fibreglass?

Like bamboo there is GLASS that is worthy and there is JUNK. Not as much as with bamboo. The old Bamboo were pennies back them and are not worth much more now. It is a Taper thing with both. Parabolic and quick tapers.
Glass is nothing like graphite and close to bamboo. It is lighter. For a good bamboo you are looking at around $800. and a year if you are lucky.
Glass is cheaper and already there no wait, plus that bamboo smoothness.
There are some very nice upper end glass by Steffen Bros. and Mike McFarland and then there is the less expensive Lamiglass.

I personally have two 7' 4wt bamboos and a 7' 4wt Lamiglass. All are relatively close in casting, but I would rather take the glass out in the cold than the boo. I do know wood is one of the strongest materials, but I worry splitting.