View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: So, what is the usual tip rate for a guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
I guided for seven years in Colorado, and my buddy and I always hire a guide when we go up to Montana for a trip.

An all day float for two will get the guide $100 tip if he puts in a good effort. We try really hard to tip on effort and NOT on fish caught.

An all day walk/wade gets $80 and a half day/walk wade $40. Again, its effort not fish.

Walk wade trips get less because the guide has to put in/ haul out and clean the boat on his time. Chris
I consider myself a generous tipper also, but your guidelines seem on the high side to me. Of course, a lot depends upon what the guide rate is. I'm used to the San Juan where for some reason guide rates are lower (last I was there, low $300's for 1), but even up in, say, Wyoming or Montana, where the going rate seems more like $400 for 1, a 25% tip seems on the high side. 20% to me is a good tip, and only for when the guide has put in a real effort (I agree that number of fish caught should not be the criteria, because that can and usually is beyond the guide's control).

Just my 2c . . .