View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying Fly Fishing Gear Online Shipping Charges

I see it as a way to both attract customers and contain costs. Joe's Fly Shop may only sell 10% of their items online, so to offer free shipping might not be that large of a cost, but they attract a lot of customers. So they can easily roll that cost into the price of their items and ship it "free."

Cabela's has only a dozen brick and mortar stores, give or take. Most of their sales are either online or through their catalog. So 90% of their sales are shipped out, and I think it's safe to say that Cabela's has a larger customer base that Joe's, so shipping then becomes a huge cost for them. To much to role into their prices (plus it probably fluctuates to much to) so they charge you shipping.

I agree that their shipping can be a bit pricey. I have a Cabela's near me and they will ship for free to the store, but then I have to pay tax. Tax can be more than the shipping charges, so sometimes it's cheaper to pay their crazy shipping, if it's something I can only get at Cabela's.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog