View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Buying Fly Fishing Gear Online Shipping Charges

Actually in California businesses are not required to collect sales tax from the consumer, but are allowed too, however if the consumer does not pay them the business has to. In the case of the Local Shop I mentioned they do have a physical presence right in the same county I live in. When they do not charge the consumer sales taxes that means they pay them out of what they collect.

Yes in a certain respect, because of mark up taxes and shipping are payed. However the prices are the same as or less than the 2 other shops in this area so buying from them online is advantages if you know what you want. I do not have to use gas to drive into town, pay shipping, or sales tax and the prices are the same as in the store.

You are correct often these brick and mortar shops that have an online presence will only have a portion of what they sell on line and/or they are items they are willing to take a loss on to attract people to their brick and mortar store. When shops purposely sell things at a loss to attract buyers, Car Dealers are notorious for this, those items are called "Loss Leaders." Car dealers then try to draw you away from that vehicle. Often a very good money savings strategy for vehicle purchases if you know the exact make and model you are looking for is to look online at the major dealers websites for low mileage vehicles that match being offered for sale well below what they normal market value. Then go to that dealer and insist on buying that vehicle. That is how I have made my last few vehicle purchases and I've done so well below the going market rate.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-21-2011 at 09:40 PM.